Monday, May 7, 2012

It's a Sunny Day Kind of Thing

We have a bit of a standoffish reputation up here in the Pacific Northwest. Everyone avoids eye contact, interpersonal interaction is kept to a minimum. Among a crowd, you can truly feel alone. And it's always in a drizzle.

It's a "thing" up here, the way we are, much like Southerners are hospitable and New Yorkers are short and direct.

But I'll tell you this - when the sun comes out, Seattle is a different place. I'm sitting on my bike in an intersection and people roll up in their cars and just start up conversation. Everyone smiles at each other - it's an "I'm happy to be alive!"smile, or "look how beautiful this is" or I don't know, but appreciating everything life has to offer, so much so you have to connect with other people.

So, I don't think it's us - that we are so different. I think its the rain, and the grey and it just overcomes us, sort of a survival tactic. And as much as we can be ok with it, appreciate the rain, the grey and the wet, it takes it's toll.  Then thankfully, at some point in May, the sun comes out and reminds us.

It's a sunny day kind of thing.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, indeed, I agree with you completely. The sun will do that!

    ReplyDelete